Friday, December 17, 2010

Papa Bill

My grandpa died this week. Tuesday at 9:20 in the morning he passed away.

For the last five years my grandpa, my Papa Bill, has lived in a nursing home. He was ready to leave. For a Texas Baptist preacher who loved adventure a nursing home was a cage. Near his bedside hung a picture of him dressed as a classic western outlaw; cowboy hat, eye patch, and all. His small, two person room and its stale smell, the bedpan and automatic bed, these were not my grandpa. That picture though, now that was my grandpa–an outlaw and sojourner of this world and a resident of a world to come. My last memory of my grandpa is standing with my siblings by his bedside. As a tear rolled down his face he said in the smallest voice, “I just hope that I have shown you all how much Christ loves you… and how much I love you.” As I left his room that day that picture of him was the last thing I saw.

A few years ago my cousin got married and I had the honor of helping my grandpa get ready for the wedding. In the mirror in the front room of my grandma’s apartment I watched as he carefully straightened his tie and his toupee. Then my grandma walked up, hugged him from behind, finished straightening his tie, and gently said, “You look great Bill.” It was one of the sweetest things I’ve ever seen. I know my grandparent’s relationship was not always the most outwardly romantic, and I know they’ve had their struggles, but I can only hope that one day I have a marriage full of the sweet and heavenly affection I saw that day.

I don’t remember my grandpa singing very much, but my mom does. He loved singing. We even have a record of him at our house right now. A full album of wonderful hymns sung in the deepest, fullest voice. He hasn’t been able to sing like that for a long time.

Now he’s finally free of that nursing home. And his voice is as rich and deep as ever. He’s praising his Lord at the top of his lungs and he’s finally home.

Papa Bill, thank you for teaching me how loved I am by Jesus Christ. Thank you for showing me how much you love me. Thank you for living your life completely for the Lord, I very much hope to do the same.

I’ll see you soon.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wanted to thank you for this great post!! I enjoyed every little bit of it, I have you bookmarked and waiting for all the new stuff you post.
Chevrolet W3500 Turbo

Post a Comment

ME

i am a coffee loving college student who thinks too much and acts too little. sometimes i write about what i think. i know very little, but i know this, He calls me son.

TOMS